Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Real Learning

We are finally winding up the school year.  By the end of this month of May, we will be through with school for the year whether we have finished our text books or not.  Hopefully we will have finished the majority of the text work.  Past years I have demanded that we finish the books, every page, but I'm seeing that our real learning wasn't in the textbooks this year.


The majority of our learning came from our doing...our trip to Israel...our mission trip to inner city Dallas...a mission trip to Zimbabwe...loading a shipping container for an orphanage in Zimbabwe filled with a tractor, medical supplies, clothes, and supplemental food...taking care of our animals, including our new Alpacas...learning a little about business and raising funds for educational opportunities for the poor, and our personal research into topics that interested us from our interaction with the world.

Even though we are a little behind in our school year with our books, I feel that it has been one of the most fruitful years of our homeschooling, and it has been the most fun.  How has your year been?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate my comments, as I like to be sure and read each one. Your opinions and views are important to me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin