Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Trip to Israel for Inspiration

Our family just got back recently from a trip to Israel. We have been studying the Old Testament in our Bible along with ancient history. The trip was a wonderful addition to our learning. Nothing beats doing some hands-on activities for learning, and nothing beats being in Israel to ignite a fire in your heart for your faith. We have experienced a new perspective as we read the Scriptures. Being able to picture the place about what you are reading, definitely brings about a new level of experiencing God's word.



Going down into a cave where shepherds would stay
at The Shepherds Fields in Bethlehem



 Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem




 Being re-baptised in the Jordan River




Touching the rock at the traditional site where Jesus was believed to be crucified
at the Church of the Holy Sepulcher



We especially have experienced a desire to research our Hebraic roots and the Jewish traditions that come with that.  I have found some websites and am now researching feasts that we would like to incorporate into the year.  The first feast is Tu B'Shevat, the New Year for Trees on January 20, 2011.

The West Wall in Jerusalem

Some recipes for Tu B'Shevat:

More on the Tu B'Shevat seder meal rituals:

Let me know if you celebrate the Jewish feast of Tu B'Shevat and what you've gained from doing so.

5 comments:

  1. What an awesome experience! I haven't done the feast of Tu B'Shevat but have taken part in passover. Like you, I have taken an interest in Jesus' jewish heritage and what it means for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Janice for leaving a comment. I'm excited about this new discovery and will be looking into my "roots" further. I just received a book in the mail today that I had ordered about Christians studying their hebraic past. I will definitely do a post on the book when I get a chance to read and study it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos of your trip. Hi! just blog hopping. Great site you have here

    ReplyDelete
  4. Veery interesting, safi sana, you had an amazing trip which I think many christians wish to do one day! As you said mama, it is a faith booster!

    I wish you all the best, Vale

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping in Aries and for leaving a comment.

    Vale! Yes the trip was fantastic. Next time you should go with us! Yes?

    ReplyDelete

I moderate my comments, as I like to be sure and read each one. Your opinions and views are important to me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin