Wednesday, May 13, 2009

What Have You Learned This Week?

I'm a natural life-long learner who tries to motivate her children to be life-long learners. I've wanted to ask the following question of you in hopes that you will share your knowledge on this post. I'll be asking this question periodically so that we can all stretch ourselves in new ways of thinking.

Here is the question: What have you learned this week?

Your answer doesn't need to be profound. It can be anything that you know now that you didn't know before. You can relate this to education, politics, cooking, everyday life, whatever new idea or fact that you learned and would like to share.

I've been this last week at the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair in Reno Nevada with my 9th grade daughter as she is one of the finalists at the fair. Right now she is being interviewed by judges in the science field related to her research. This gave me an opportunity to sit in on some great teacher seminars at the fair.

One thing that I learned at the fair that I want to incorporate more of in our home school is problem based learning (or sometimes called project based learning)...taking a real problem and challenging my daughters to find a creative solution to the problem. Science fairs have been part of my problem based learning curriculum, but I want to incorporate other subjects besides science into the project based learning idea. With the availability of information, fact retention is no longer needed as much as critical thinking skills and creativity. Problem based learning can help develop critical thinking skills and creativity. I'm just now starting to do more research in this area that I will share more of at a later date.

In the meantime, what is your answer to the question, What have you learned this week?

3 comments:

  1. I love the problem-based learning idea!

    We learned all about black holes this week; my son was mesmerized and it was great to hear him talk about what he thought they were, based on the scientists' theories and studies.

    BTW your on my blog roll now so I can keep up with ya! Love your site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We learned to cherish our lives, as the 4th & 5th of our siblings passed away. On a positive note, I learned more about how one goes from realistic art to abstract art and breaking down large shapes into more interesting smaller shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes our best lessons are learned through sorrow or trials. Thanks for sharing Joe. Your sketches are great by the way.

    Kim...thanks for sharing what you and your son have learned this week. Isn't it wonderful to see our children mesmerized by our world and how that motivates them to learn more about it?

    ReplyDelete

I moderate my comments, as I like to be sure and read each one. Your opinions and views are important to me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin