Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Grasping Math Concepts



Learning math concepts can be...well...a bit confusing and a little frustrating. Learning math facts and memorizing formulas as a way to get answers to problems on paper was the way that I learned math when I was in school long, long ago. But, math has to be understood and applied to problems in the real world. Learning how to do that successfully is another problem entirely.

For our home school lessons next year, we will be doing some project-based learning. We will be working on projects where we solve real life problems using math, language arts, art, maybe even history as a means to solving these problems. I've researched some links that I thought had some great projects that we could do next year along with our text book learning...these are all math related...

High School:
Tower Project
Tessellation Exploration!
Buying Your First Home

Middle School or High School:
Pythagorean Theorem and the Distance Formula
Linear Equations
The Math Gods: historical research into the contributions of mathmeticians.
Geometry in Art, Architecture and Nature

Elementary:
Math in the Kitchen
Santa's Helper
When Will I Have Enough Money?

Here is a site, ThinkQuest, full of math projects where you can browse by age:
ThinkQuest

I'm still researching these sites and others not listed here. If you find more, please leave a link in the comments. I'll be updating this post as I find more sites.

Happy Home Schooling!

4 comments:

  1. Hello!

    I did a review for a site called Dreambox, it's on my left side bar, you should check them out!

    http://www.dreambox.com/

    My son loves it! Thanks for the extra links, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snort! I'm afraid to share the video with my son. Very afraid.

    I'm not sure how much math is involved as I haven't tried it yet, but WeSeed allows users to learn about investments as they play the stock market with fake money.

    See http://www.weseed.com/home.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I majored in Math in college and never understood why others don't like Math. I still don't but I realize the statement "You'll not need it after you graduate" is not so. Chain Maille quickly teaches you that. Aspect Ratio good example.
    Balancing checkbooks (well Quicken, I guess) Buying a house you can afford. (Need I say more on that one) Lots of things. Parents who are supportive and don't try to pass on their dislike of Math are a help.

    ReplyDelete

I moderate my comments, as I like to be sure and read each one. Your opinions and views are important to me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin