Monday, May 4, 2009

A Time, Money and Dinner Saver

As a homeschool mom, I'm always looking for things that will either save time, money, or make my life easier. I have found that my Rival crock-pot has fulfilled all three criteria.

I bought a Rival Smart Crock Pot last year. It has four cook settings, high for 4 or 6 hours, and low for 8 or 10 hours. If you leave the house or are busy with your children, and it has finished its cooking cycle, it automatically switches to a warm setting so that everything stays warm and ready to eat when you get home. It also has a removable insert for easy cleaning. Easy, easy, easy. . .throw in ingredients in the morning, leave and let cook, come back with supper ready. No time wasted watching your pot boil or your pan fry, and extra time available for the children and the hubby.

The crock pot has saved me money. There have been many times, after a full day of homeschooling that I didn't have the energy or I hadn't planned ahead to make something for dinner, so we grabbed fast food on our way home from an activity. Money, money money . . . Now that I have a crock-pot, I can put something on in the morning and forget it the rest of the day.

I've not been able to get exact figures on crock pot vs. oven as far as energy usage. There are many different opinions and not many calculations. My own experience has shown me that crockpots in the summer months are more cost effective than the oven, as the oven heats up the house and runs up my cooling bill ( and I do have an electric oven). I did find a handy website that discusses the pros and cons of crock pots vs. ovens in energy use here at Fun Times Guide. This site also has links to crock-pot recipes.

The Creighton University website states, "Full-size ovens are not very efficient when cooking small quantities of food. When cooking small- to medium-sized meals, it generally pays to use smaller microwave ovens, toaster ovens, or slow-cook crock pots". Now it look like for most of my needs, a crock pot wins out.

I'll be posting some of my favorite crock-pot recipes in later posts. Mmmmm, so what's for dinner at your house?


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the crockpot and use it for homeschool days too. Tomorrow is roast but we also make soup, chili, meat for tacos, etc.

    ReplyDelete

I moderate my comments, as I like to be sure and read each one. Your opinions and views are important to me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin