Friday, December 12, 2008

Just 100 Things?

I came across an article the other day that I really have been thinking about. It is about a man named Dave who has pledged to purge his possessions down to just 100 things. See full article here in Time Magazine.

Dave is really on to something. Every New Year resolution I have made in the last five years has been to simplify, simplify, simplify. But how far do I go to simplify my things? Dave has set his limit to just 100 things. Wow. Wish I could let go of everything but 100 things. I might be able to do 100 categories of things. But then I start making broad categories like instead of shoes counting as one thing, Ill incorporate it into clothing which is one thing, and I'll keep going. Before you know it, I'll have everything lumped into one category.

Stuff seems rule my life. I have to find a place for my stuff, I'm constatly picking up my stuff (I'm a mom, so I'm picking up everyone else's stuff too), I have to clean my stuff, mend my stuff, decide what to do with my stuff, etc., etc., etc.

Anyone else want to join me in this challenge of keeping just 100 things? Think of all we could do for the world if we didn't buy more things and used the money to feed the hungry? Just think of the extra time we would have to spend with family and friends instead of taking care of our things.

I salute you Dave. Keep up the good work. Me? I'm still trying to figure out how to count my 100 things.

1 comment:

  1. Not sure 100 is possible for a home schooling parent. However, every year we deliberately get rid of half of everything. It makes a world of difference.

    ReplyDelete

I moderate my comments, as I like to be sure and read each one. Your opinions and views are important to me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin