Saturday, October 25, 2008

God's Power


Kim at the Internet Cafe gave her reader's the following challenge: "Tell about an experience when you sensed God’s super natural power working through you."

I saw and experienced God's power during a time my youngest daughter was sick. She was hospitalized for a month when she was seven years old with Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome which was caused by E. coli bacteria in her system. The toxins caused her pancreas to shut down, her heart to falter, and her kidneys to fail. It was a very painful experience for her. She would ask, "I need some cool clean water", but I was only allowed to give her ice chips. The mother in me wanted to give her what she pleaded for. For a almost a solid month, she had nothing but ice chips.

She stopped breathing once and was taken to Pediatric ICU where they put her on a ventilator. She was so sick that multiple times we thought we would lose her. She had to have multiple blood transfusions to help support her body. The doctors could only do so much and she was just one step away from being put on life support. It was a very stressful time for our family.

I remember praying a different prayer, one less centered on what was best for me and one that was centered on what was best for her. I finally gave her over to God to do with as He pleased realizing He might take her to be with Him. I just wanted her to be healed and under no more pain. I felt a sudden peace and a release that I no longer had to struggle through this, and that whatever happened, I would be O.K. because God would see me through the pain. It was like He was asking me to be a substitute for her, taking on her pain for her.
That was a turning point in her recovery. She started improving little by little until she was well enough to go home. Today she is a thriving 13-yr-old. Very healthy and active. A true blessing of God. I learned a lot about letting go and letting God work and having the faith and trust that God will do what is best.

Seeing God's power through that situation was like being close to Niagra Falls. You stand next to it and see the beauty of the falls and feel the power of the water hitting the rocks below and the sound vibrating and pounding against your chest. You know that if you get too close, you can be swept away with the water and be crushed with it's force, yet you cannot help but be mesmerized by the beauty of that power.

You can view others' answers to this challenge by clicking on the Cafe picture above. You can also participate with your own answer to this challenge.

5 comments:

  1. He is an awesome God indeed! Thank you for sharing your story. May His love wash over you and your family, today and always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading stories about how when we surrender to let God completely do His will, we are blessed. May your family continue under the protection of the Almighty God! I found your story full of faith, hope and encouragement. Much wisdom here, too. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when I surrendered my daughter completely to God too, and felt a new peace. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a powerful testimony...Thanks for sharing. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so hard to go through with a child. I often wonder how people who don't know God makes it through times like those. God bless you and I'm so happy your daughter is well now. In Christ, Doylene

    ReplyDelete

I moderate my comments, as I like to be sure and read each one. Your opinions and views are important to me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin