Friday, October 31, 2008

Battle With the Bugs


We've had a week of battling ladybugs or Asian beetles. We discovered this is the time of year that they are trying to find a place to hibernate for the winter, and they tend to like light colored houses on sunny days. We came home from grocery shopping on Wednesday, and our house was covered with ladybugs.

We accidentally carried a few indoors with us as we were carrying in the groceries. We had them in our hair, in our garage, in our light fixtures, in our van. We tried to be nice and pick them up to throw them back outside, because I'll need them for next Spring when I garden again. (They are good aphid-eaters.) But as soon as we opened the door to throw one out, two or more came in.

This morning I was checking e-mail when I took a sip of my coffee and spewed it all over the monitor. I had a ladybug in my coffee. Now I am waging war. I'm getting out the big guns - the vacuum cleaner (a woman's weapon of choice). Good ladybugs or not; they can't stay! They have to go!

Ladybug! Ladybug! Fly away home;
Your house is on fire, your children all gone;
All but one, and her name is Ann,
And she crept under the pudding pan.

Medieval Folklore

1 comment:

  1. Lots of people here in MA have been inindated by the Asian ladybugs. They are more of a pest than the redder variety here anyhow. Not fun. We recently had a chipmonk in the house. But that was nothing like the bird in our Hemlock house when we had cats to chase it. (All over the dining room table)
    Bev

    ReplyDelete

I moderate my comments, as I like to be sure and read each one. Your opinions and views are important to me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin