Monday, September 29, 2008

Conformity


Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

Kim from Cafe Chat asks the following question:

In what ways have you “conformed to this world” in your own life? Then share the story of how God worked through you to “renew your mind” in that situation.

con·form /kənˈfɔrm/ v 1. to act in accordance or harmony; comply (usually fol. by to): to conform to rules. 2. to act in accord with the prevailing standards, attitudes, practices, etc., of society or a group. 3. to be or become similar in form, nature, or character. 4. to be in harmony or accord.

I am most apt to conform to something that I spend a lot of time or effort doing. If I'm living as the world does, I look and act as the world does. If I listen to the music of the world or watch certain TV programs, I start to think as the world does. I had learned early on as a teenager that the type of music I listened to affected my attitudes and behaviors as well as my beliefs. When I listen to Christian music, I am more focused on God and not the world. If I read the Bible, my mind is being transformed and renewed toward the things of God.

If you would like to see how others have responded to this question, click on the Cafe Chat picture. You can also participate by leaving your answer to this question at the site.

2 comments:

  1. Amen to your post. Indeed everything we see, hear, taste, smell and touch effects our spirits, in either a postive or a negative way.

    ReplyDelete

I moderate my comments, as I like to be sure and read each one. Your opinions and views are important to me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin