Thursday, July 17, 2008

Living with Reality

It is the mid 1970's, and I'm about 12 years old. I'm watching a documentary about a famine in a far away place called Ethiopia. As I watch with the rest of my family, I am overcome by a sense of helplessness. What can I do to help this mom feed her baby, this dad to grow his crops, and this child find hope. I am frustrated at not being able to help. It seems so unfair!

Although it is 33 years later, I still see their faces and their agony. As I look around the world today, not much has changed. People are still dying for lack of food and other resources. The world is still divided between the "haves" and the "have-nots". Why was I blessed to be a "have"?

Since we've come home from Tanzania, my life has not been the same. I'm looking back on what God has been doing all my life, and it all started in the mid 70's watching those documentaries on the famine. I need to feed the hungry children. I want to heal those who are sick. I long to relieve the pain of the suffering. I want to undo the works of evil. I can no longer live in "my world" when the reality of poverty is knocking on my door.

The video below is one of my favorites; sung by one of my favorite Christian artists, Sara Groves, for it speaks my heart better than I can. Please pray with me.

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing song and video. Thanks for putting that up. Bernard and Duska just did that song at church a couple weeks ago using photos and footage from their trip to India. It was very powerful.

    I'm thankful to have you as friends. You always inspire me.

    ReplyDelete

I moderate my comments, as I like to be sure and read each one. Your opinions and views are important to me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin