Monday, June 30, 2008

Teaching An Old Dog New Tricks

My children started in the public school system. My husband and I are both public school graduates. When my oldest daughter was finishing fourth grade, and my youngest finishing second grade, we made the decision to home-school. My oldest is now entering ninth grade and my youngest seventh grade, and we haven't regretted the decision.

As a mom/teacher, I've been learning right along with the girls. I'm not only learning about subjects I was never taught or I had forgotten, but I'm also learning:
  • I can be with my girls all day, and I won't go nuts. In fact, I love being with them.
  • Having teenagers can be a very rewarding experience.
  • It's O.K. to have creative messes and science projects around the house . . . even when company is coming!
  • The crock pot is my best friend.
  • I actually do like to learn history.
  • I don't have to do it all.
  • God gives me the wisdom and guidance to accomplish the tasks He sets before me.
  • Learning can be fun.
  • There is more than one way to get the right answer.
  • Children can teach their parents a few things.
  • Nothing beats real world experiences.
  • Life is more than learning facts; its learning how to learn, how to show compassion for those in need, and how to have a positive impact on the world.
  • Prayer on your knees can get you through the rough spots.
So, you can see that I have learned a thing or two from this journey. Who said, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks"?


Kayla mixing cement in Brazil

Christine shingling a roof in Louisiana after Hurricane Katrina

1 comment:

I moderate my comments, as I like to be sure and read each one. Your opinions and views are important to me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin