Thursday, June 26, 2008

Tanzania Travel

In May we traveled to Tanzania, Africa for work, vacation, and home-school field-trip (our lives are made up of home school projects and field trips). Life is a learning experience! My husband Floyd was there to work on a project to identify certain species of mosquitos that transmit malaria.

Before he set off to work, we spent three days on safari at the Solous Game Reserve. We saw many different animals: lions, giraffes, zebras, wildebeests, baboons, elands, impalas, elephants, and a few lizards who greeted us every morning in the bathroom. This picture shows us in front of our "tent".
This elephant we named "Grumpy" after he charged our land rover and chased us out of the area he thought was exclusively his. Our guide had turned off the engine to the land rover and glided quietly up close to this guy. When the elephant showed his displeasure at our being there, I prayed the land rover would start and the guide would get the vehicle turned around in time to leave before he got too close. Kayla caught a few seconds of the chase on video, although most of the video shows either the back seat or the ceiling of the land rover because of the bumpy ride over the terrain.
We traveled by train to Ifakara, where Floyd was to do his research. When he was busy during the day, the girls and I toured the town with the Catholic priest, Fr. Salutaris. We toured the hospital, a bakery that supplies bread to the hospital and an orphanage, a trade school, a leprosy clinic, a private school, a public primary and secondary school, and a home for mentally disabled children.
This is a broad overview of our trip. In future posts, I would like to share more details and some thoughts I have about this trip.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I love your blog!! I'll link to you on mine. Wonderful pictures and stories. We love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was fun to go to Tanzania! i want to go again sometime.

    ReplyDelete

I moderate my comments, as I like to be sure and read each one. Your opinions and views are important to me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin